Monday, May 24, 2010

I found a yellow mass in my garden. It looks like vanilla pudding.?

I was planting flowers and this yellow glob was about 4" down in the dirt, it was about 6" long, and 4" thick. It resembles vanilla pudding only thicker. There was nothing over or under it but dirt. It had no smell. Did I come across some kind of egg sack, fungus or what!!!

I found a yellow mass in my garden. It looks like vanilla pudding.?
It is called "mother" - the root mass for fungal growth of some sort. The mushrooms or other fungus that appear above it are the "fruit" of this mass, rather than the item itself. I would wrap it in plastic and put it in the trash - yuck.


OR - if you are near a river, there is a chance - if this is very wet stuff, that you just opened a turtle's egg burial. Snapping turtles will climb up a long ways from the water's edge and sometimes do bury their eggs. sometimes in yards or gardens. But normally you would have seen some disturbance of the soil over it beforehand, since they work their shells down into the soil in order to lay the eggs, then bury them afterwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment